Sunday, July 31, 2011

Littered with Books













Littered with Books at 20 Duxton Road S(089586)


One weekend, G and I stumbled into this gem of a bookshop while wandering about Tanjong Pagar. It was tucked away in one of the many conserved shophouses lined along Duxton Road. The moment I entered the store, I found myself thinking, so rarely do I step into someplace new and feel almost instantly at home. 

Unlike the sprawling labyrinth of large bookstores like Kinokuniya and Page One, Littered with Books is tiny in comparison, but makes up for it by exuding so much warmth that you will feel as if you're browsing from the comfort of your own cozy living room.  Of course, it isn't as well stocked as the other bookstores, but it does boast a pretty extensive collection of titles, ranging from classics, culinary books, crime, contemporary literature, fantasy, sci-fi, to philosophy books. To those who are quick to dismiss the notion of a thriving reading culture in Singapore, or who bemoan the lack of quirky, independently run bookstores,  I say, you haven't been looking closely enough. 

No comments: